Artists and makers: Watts 1874
Watts was founded in 1874 by three forward-thinking architects, G.F.Bodley, Thomas Garner and George Gilbert Scott. Their intention was to form a firm as the supplier of interior furnishings that was artistically comparable to the boldness of their architecture.
Nearly 150 years on, Watts has an unparalleled archive of historical papers. The original earlier designs by the founders, the Oakleaf, Sunflower and Bird, Bamboo Jasmine, reminiscent of the stylized naturalism of the Morris papers, and are in stark contrast to the grander later patterns introduced by the many renowned architects who worked with the company during those early formative years. In the 1970s this core collection was expanded to include the bold geometric designs by A. W. N. Pugin, which had formed part of the portfolio designed for the Palace of Westminster in the 1840s.
Specialising in custom design, Watts offers exquisite handmade passementerie, fine textiles, hand-block and digital wallpaper and impressive Tableaux Scéniques murals for residential and contract use.